s -Block Elements
Biological significance of Na, K, Mg and Ca
Sodium and Potassium :
- In blood plasma, Na+ ions are present to the extent of 143 mmol L−1, while the concentration of K+ ions is only 5 mmol L−1.
- These ions help in the transmission of nerve signals, in regulating the flow of water across cell membranes and in the transport of sugars and amino acids into the cells.
- K+ ions activate many enzymes and participate in the oxidation of glucose to produce ATP.
Magnesium and Calcium :
- Mg+2 ions are concentrated in animal cells and Ca+2 ions are concentrated in the body fluids outside the cell.
- Energy is stored in the form of phosphate linkages in ATP.
- Mg+2 ions are present in chlorophyll-a green coloring pigment in plants.
- Ca+2 ions are present in bones and teeth as apatite and the enamel on teeth as fluorapatite.
- Ca+2 ions are important in blood clotting and to maintain the regular beating of the heart.
View the Topic in this Video from 0:08 to 1:31
Disclaimer: Compete.etutor.co may from time to time provide links to third party Internet sites under their respective fair use policy and it may from time to time provide materials from such third parties on this website. These third party sites and any third party materials are provided for viewers convenience and for non-commercial educational purpose only. Compete does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services available on these third party sites. Compete.etutor.co makes no representations whatsoever concerning the content of these sites and the fact that compete.etutor.co has provided a link to such sites is NOT an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by compete.etutor.co with respect to such sites, its services, the products displayed, its owners, or its providers.