Ecological services - carbon fixation, pollination, seed dispersal, oxygen release
- Environmental, aesthetic and indirect economic value of the products of ecosystem processes are named as services. Ecosystem must be healthy to provide best services.
- Carbon fixation : (balances the atmosphere) producers picks up CO2 from atmosphere and convert it into organic compounds in the process of photosynthesis. This also gives food to others outside the ecosystem. Eg: tribals and migratory animals.
- Pollination is a significant step in reproduction of plants. It occurs by bees, bufferflies, birds, human, wind, water etc. Animal depends on plants for food. Absence of these plants will naturally deprive the animal of their food which leads to death.
- Seed dispersal : Many plants depends on animals (birds, squirrels, terrestial animals) for dispersal of their seed. Plant provide animals with food & form of fleshy fruits and other edibles. They mutually support each other.
- O2 release : Producers of ecosystem release lot of O2 during Photosynthesis. Eg: Amazon rain forests are called as lungs of our planet because they produce nearly 20% O2.
Disclaimer: Compete.etutor.co may from time to time provide links to third party Internet sites under their respective fair use policy and it may from time to time provide materials from such third parties on this website. These third party sites and any third party materials are provided for viewers convenience and for non-commercial educational purpose only. Compete does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services available on these third party sites. Compete.etutor.co makes no representations whatsoever concerning the content of these sites and the fact that compete.etutor.co has provided a link to such sites is NOT an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by compete.etutor.co with respect to such sites, its services, the products displayed, its owners, or its providers.