Biotechnology and its Applications
Bio piracy and patents
- Bio patents are awarded for DNA sequence, cell lines, Biotechnological procedures, processes and products. Certain cancelled patents on natural inventions include turmeric and Banisteriopsis caapi
- US had patented Basmati rice by crossing Indian variety with semi-dwarf variety rice.
- Other cancelled patents include Neem, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Pomegranate etc.,
- Improper patenting is called Biopiracy.
- US had improperly made a usage of a plant called Pentadiplandra brazzeana and had obtained a protein called brazzein, which is 2000 times sweeter than sugar with very less calorific value.
- US also started introducing the gene for brazzein protein into Maize Kernel.
- British Portsmouth University has illegally collected Microorganisms from the Coastal areas of Thailand, which they use it to cure diseases like AIDS, Cancer etc.,
Disclaimer: Compete.etutor.co may from time to time provide links to third party Internet sites under their respective fair use policy and it may from time to time provide materials from such third parties on this website. These third party sites and any third party materials are provided for viewers convenience and for non-commercial educational purpose only. Compete does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services available on these third party sites. Compete.etutor.co makes no representations whatsoever concerning the content of these sites and the fact that compete.etutor.co has provided a link to such sites is NOT an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by compete.etutor.co with respect to such sites, its services, the products displayed, its owners, or its providers.