Plant Growth and Development
Seed dormancy :
- It is the rest in which the germination of a viable seed is inhibited even placed in most favourable environment for germination.
- Immaturity of Embryo, Impermeable seed coat, Hard seed coat, presence of Germination inhibitors are the reasons for seed dormancy.
- Natural breaking of seed dormancy includes development of growth harmones, Leaching of germination inhibitors and weakening of impermeable and tough seed coats by microbial action, abrasion, passage through digestive tract of animals.
- Artificial breaking methods involve scarification, stratification, inducing shake and pressure and etc;
- Perennation, Dispersal, germination under favourable conditions and storage are the important features of seed dormancy
Watch this video for the topic Seed dormancy from 0:13 to 4:46
Disclaimer: Compete.etutor.co may from time to time provide links to third party Internet sites under their respective fair use policy and it may from time to time provide materials from such third parties on this website. These third party sites and any third party materials are provided for viewers convenience and for non-commercial educational purpose only. Compete does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services available on these third party sites. Compete.etutor.co makes no representations whatsoever concerning the content of these sites and the fact that compete.etutor.co has provided a link to such sites is NOT an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by compete.etutor.co with respect to such sites, its services, the products displayed, its owners, or its providers.