- Being alive is defined as the complex organization of molecules expressing itself through the chemical reactions which lead to the growth, development, responsiveness, adaptation and reproduction.
- One such distinct function of an organism (living) is growth, which is permanent, irreversible increases in mass.
- Reproduction is a non-defining property of living organism as it is not mandatory for an organism to sustain a life
- Metabolism comprises both anabolism and catabolism which is a building up and a breaking down reaction, respectively and is a defining property.
- To increase the survival rate, living organism induces adaptation.
- Homeostasis, a defining property, is to maintain a favourable internal environment.
- Consciousness is the ability to sense the surroundings and respond to it, also considered to be the defining property.
Disclaimer: Compete.etutor.co may from time to time provide links to third party Internet sites under their respective fair use policy and it may from time to time provide materials from such third parties on this website. These third party sites and any third party materials are provided for viewers convenience and for non-commercial educational purpose only. Compete does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services available on these third party sites. Compete.etutor.co makes no representations whatsoever concerning the content of these sites and the fact that compete.etutor.co has provided a link to such sites is NOT an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by compete.etutor.co with respect to such sites, its services, the products displayed, its owners, or its providers.