Body Fluids and Circulation
composition of lymph and its function
- Lymph is a colourless fluid connective tissue comprising lymph plasma (fluid) and lymph corpuscles. lymph contains very small amount of nutrients and oxygen but contains abundant carbondioxide and other metabolic washes.
- Lymph plasma is similar to blood but has fewer blood proteins, less calcium and phosphorus and high glucose concentration mainly globulin proteins are present which are antibodies.
- Lymph cells are mainly lymphocytes. RBC and platelets are absent in lymph. lymphoid organs are lymphnodes, tonsils, thymus gland, spleen and peyer's patches. (spleen - largest lymphoid organ).
- Lymph acts as middleman which transfers materials from blood to body cells and vice versa.
- Lymph takes antibodies and lymphocytes from the lymphnodes to blood and destroys the invading microorganisms.
- Lymph maintains the quality and quantity of the blood.
- It absorbs and transport fats and lipid soluble vitamins from intestine.
Watch this video for the topic composition of lymph and its function from 46:08 to 51:10
Disclaimer: Compete.etutor.co may from time to time provide links to third party Internet sites under their respective fair use policy and it may from time to time provide materials from such third parties on this website. These third party sites and any third party materials are provided for viewers convenience and for non-commercial educational purpose only. Compete does not operate or control in any respect any information, products or services available on these third party sites. Compete.etutor.co makes no representations whatsoever concerning the content of these sites and the fact that compete.etutor.co has provided a link to such sites is NOT an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, or affiliation by compete.etutor.co with respect to such sites, its services, the products displayed, its owners, or its providers.